50 History Quotes
Published on 2020-06-22 16:05:00 Category：Best Quotes
1. We need the courage to learn from our past and not live in it.
2. The Master said, “A true teacher is one who, keeping the past alive, is also able to understand the present.”(Analects 2.11)
3. The first duty of a man is to think for himself
4. When a man learns to love, he must bear the risk of hatred.
5. Never trust the translation or interpretation of something without first trusting its interpreter.
6. It is my hope that as we commemorate Black History Month in the future, we will continue to celebrate the many achievements and rich culture of African-Americans.
7. I am not a victim. No matter what I have been through, I'm still here. I have a history of victory.
8. History repeats itself, but the special call of an art which has passed away is never reproduced. It is as utterly gone out of the world as the song of a destroyed wild bird.
9. I think Spain will always remain inspirational, and I think French cuisine will continue to be very French and yet very relevant with its time and keep evolving. But the last thing you want for it is to become too trendy and confusing. It has too much history.
10. Love is our most unifying and empowering common spiritual denominator. The more we ignore its potential to bring greater balance and deeper meaning to human existence, the more likely we are to continue to define history as one long inglorious record of man’s inhumanity to man.
11. It is better to fill your head with useless knowledge than no knowledge at all.
12. History dressed up in the glow of love’s kiss turned grief into beauty.
13. The human race tends to remember the abuses to which it has been subjected rather than the endearments. What's left of kisses? Wounds, however, leave scars.
14. To die,so young to die.No, no, not I,I love the warm sunny skies,light, song, shining eyes,I want no war, no battle cry,No, no, not I.
15. The history of science is the saga of nature defying common sense.
16. History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
17. There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages.
18. You show me a capitalist, and I'll show you a bloodsucker
19. Humor is so important to the American scene throughout history.
20. Know the history of the great ancestors.
21. Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe.
22. He’d used the amulet to read my thoughts again. I pictured smacking him in the face.
23. The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries.[Letter objecting to the use of government land for churches, 1803]
24. Though why should we expect age to mellow us? If it isn't life's business to reward merit, why should it be life's business to give us warm, comfortable feelings towards its end? What possible evolutionary purpose could nostalgia serve?
25. I know that many of you do wear such a cross of Christ, not in any ostentatious way, not in a way that might harm you at your work or recreation, but a simple indication that you value the role of Jesus Christ in the history of the world, that you are trying to live by Christ's standards in your own daily life.
26. To me, history ought to be a source of pleasure. It isn't just part of our civic responsibility. To me, it's an enlargement of the experience of being alive, just the way literature or art or music is."[The Title Always Comes Last; NEH 2003 Jefferson Lecturer interview profile]
27. In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.
28. thus with a kiss I die
29. No matter what your history has been, your destiny is what you create today. What are you going to create?
30. What is more precious: a thousand answers derived from one question? Or, one answer…from a thousand questions?
31. We will continue to chase rainbows unless we recognize that they are rainbows and there is no pot of gold at the end of them.
32. We can't understand when we're pregnant, or when our siblings are expecting, how profound it is to have a shared history with a younger generation: blood, genes, humor. It means we were actually here, on Earth, for a time - like the Egyptians with their pyramids, only with children.
33. Many of our problems are broadly similar to those that undermined ... Norse Greenland, and that many other past societies also struggled to solve. Some of those past societies failed (like the Greenland Norse) and others succeeded ... The past offers us a rich database from which we can learn in order that we may keep on succeeding.
34. In the long term we can hope that religion will change the nature of man and reduce conflict. But history is not encouraging in this respect. The bloodiest wars in history have been religious wars.
35. There was a manifesto in the late '60s/early '70s, and it basically laid out what 'black art' was and that it should embrace black history and black culture. There were all these rules - I was shocked, when I found it in a book, that it even existed, that it would demarcate these artists.
36. Learning the truth has become my life's love.
37. No harm's done to history by making it something someone would want to read."(The Course of Human Events, NEH Jefferson Lecture in the Humanities 2003)
38. Throughout history, great leaders have known the power of humor.
39. If anyone tells you that a certain person speaks ill of you, do not make excuses about what is said of you but answer, "He was ignorant of my other faults, else he would not have mentioned these alone.
40. History develops, art stands still.
41. I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip.
42. I don't care what is written,"Meyer Landsman says. "I don't care what supposedly got promised to some sandal-wearing idiot whose claim to fame is that he was ready to cut his own son's throat for the sake of a hare-brained idea. I don't care about red heifers and patriarchs and locusts. A bunch of old bones in the sand. My homeland is in my hat. It's in my ex-wife's tote bag.
43. ...you're either gonna spend your life fucking pussy, or taking it to church.
44. Call no man happy until he is dead.
45. The fact is that more people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, that my friends, that is true perversion!
46. The Revolution introduced me to art, and in turn, art introduced me to the Revolution!
47. You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world's problems at once but don't ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own.
48. Where humanitysowed faith, hope, and unity, joy’s garden blossomed.
49. I knew I was alone in a way that no earthling has ever been before.
50. I tell you, lad, that men will believe is one says, "The Gods say..."They will believe if one says, "I had a Vision..."They will believe if one says, "It was told me on a tablet of hidden gold..."But, if one says, "History teaches,"then they will not believe.