25 Myth Quotes
Published on 2020-06-04 08:04:00 Category：Best Quotes
1. The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived and dishonest--but the myth--persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.[Commencement Address at Yale University, June 11 1962]
2. Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith! Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge!
3. You become mature when you become the authority of your own life.
4. Do you think we can be friends?” I asked.He stared up at the ceiling. “Probably not, but we can pretend.
5. I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?
6. I said hello to the poodle.
7. It is interesting to note how many of the great scientific discoveries begin as myths.
8. It is a myth that art has to be sold. It is not like stocking a grocery store where people fill a pushcart. Art is a product that has no apparent need. The salesperson builds the need in the mind of the buyer.
9. Vane’s lips tightened to suppress a smile. “Why so hostile, love?”“You whacked me on the head with a ball!”“You deserved it.
10. Confidence is like a dragon where, for every head cut off, two more heads grow back.
11. I agree with people like Richard Dawkins that mankind felt the need for creation myths. Before we really began to understand disease and the weather and things like that, we sought false explanations for them. Now science has filled in some of the realm – not all – that religion used to fill.
12. Myth is what we call other people's religion.
13. We give up our backs and allow religious myths to apply the rear naked choke to our minds.
14. Where the bright seraphim in burning rowTheir loud uplifted angel trumpets blow.
15. He’d used the amulet to read my thoughts again. I pictured smacking him in the face.
16. I know, too, that death is the only god who comes when you call.
17. Mythology is not a lie, mythology is poetry, it is metaphorical. It has been well said that mythology is the penultimate truth--penultimate because the ultimate cannot be put into words. It is beyond words. Beyond images, beyond that bounding rim of the Buddhist Wheel of Becoming. Mythology pitches the mind beyond that rim, to what can be known but not told.
18. As the Promethean fire which banished Darkness, so Knowledge bears the Power and the Light.
19. Myth is much more important and true than history. History is just journalism and you know how reliable that is.
20. All children mythologise their birth. It is a universal trait. You want to know someone? Heart, mind and soul? Ask him to tell you about when he was born. What you get won’t be the truth: it will be a story. And nothing is more telling than a story.
21. What we're learning in our schools is not the wisdom of life. We're learning technologies, we're getting information. There's a curious reluctance on the part of faculties to indicate the life values of their subjects.
22. When I touched her body,I believed she was God.In the curves of her formI found the birth of Man,the creation of the world,and the origin of all life.
23. I’m so shy I make Bigfoot look like a socialite. Networking’s not a mystery to me—but I’m mythical to networking.
24. You deal with mythological stuff for a few years, you learn that paradises are usually places where you get killed.
25. If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... I am become Death, the Shatterer of Worlds.